5/22/2014

Exposed: Jewell Lund


We’ve asked Beal athlete, Jewell Lund to step off the rock and expose who she really is, what makes her tick, and to share some personal things about herself:

Q: We know your name, but what is your nickname?
A: Some dear friends call me 'Jewellry'.

Q: How old are you?
A: 28.

Q: Where were you born? 
A: Colorado Springs, CO.

Q: Where do you currently reside?
A: Good ole SLC, UT.

Q: What is your profession? 
A: I roast coffee!  By far the funnest job I've ever had.

Q: Are you married? 
A: Nope.

Q: Do you have any children? 
A: No.

Q: What languages do you speak? 
A: I used to speak quite a bit of Italian, as well as sign language.

Q: What schools did you attend and do you have any degrees? 
A: I have a degree in Geography (glaciology/climate change) from the University of Utah.

Q: What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? 
A: I would love to become a writer.

Q: What profession would you not like to do? 
A: Anything involving a cubicle.


Q: Where is the most interesting place you’ve ever lived?
A: Ketchikan, AK.  Lots of rain and soooo green.  Before living there I didn't understand the beauty of rock beaches.


Q: Where is the least interesting place you’ve ever lived?
A: I have only been interested in the places I've lived!

Q: When did you start climbing?
A: 2004

Q: How did you get into climbing?
A: I had a close group of girlfriends in high school. We loved to adventure together-- we learned how to snowboard, mountain bike, and backpack together. My friend's dad took us out one day, and I loved it.  I bought  my first pair of rock shoes and a harness not long after.

Q: Why do you climb?
A: To connect my mind with my body, myself with my environment, and myself with my partner.  It's a beautiful way to experience whatever the moment is.

Q: What types of climbing do you enjoy?
A: Boulder, Sport, Trad, Ice, Mixed, Alpine, Aid

Q: What’s your favorite type of climbing?
A: Probably a toss up between long trad days and alpine climbing.

Q: What’s your least favorite type of climbing?
A: I like it all, but I think aid climbing is scary and bouldering is hard!

Q: What is your favorite climbing area?
A: The Wind River range in Wyoming is a really special place.

Q: What climbing area is your least favorite?
A: American Fork Canyon (C'mon guys!  It's greasy!)


Q: What has been your favorite climb/ascent?
A: Polarchrome on Mt. Huntington in Alaska. My climbing partner, Chantel Astorga and myself climbed Polarchrome this spring. We hadn't even planned to climb the route and had no information on it, but were drawn to the line once at base camp. We climbed it in a push and it required a full bag of tricks including rock climbing, steep ice, and climbing Dr. Seuss - like formations on the French Ridge through the fleeting Alaskan night. Mount Huntington is beautiful and we had a total blast.

Q: Any idea how many first ascents you’ve put up?
A: Just one!  I'm new to this!  G-Money Memorial in our lovely Wasatch Mountains is a fun little ice runnel with a long approach (the pitch looked a lot steeper before we started hiking).

Q: If you couldn’t climb anymore, what other sport would you pursue? 
A: I think the people that do ski-mountaineering are incredible athletes.  Maybe I'd try that out.

Q: What’s your favorite Beal rope?
A: The Beal Joker is my go-to-rope.  At 9.1, I know it won't weigh me down on long approaches for rock climbing.  It's also been incredibly durable.

Q: What are your five most favorite books that aren’t about climbing?
A: East of Eden by John Steinbeck, Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey, Refuge by Terry Tempest Williams, The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery, and Oh the Places You'll Go by Dr. Seuss.

Q: What are your five most favorite bands?
A: Right now I'm digging Elephant Revival, Jamestown Revival, The Fugees, The Sounds, and, I admit it, a few songs by Justin Timberlake.

Q: What climbing articles or books do you find to be the most inspirational?
A: I read Climb Free by Lynn Hill when I was starting to get passionate about climbing.  I admire and respect so much about Lynn's path, and loved how she shared it.

Q: Do you have any heroes? Who are they?               
A: Absolutely.  Most of them are real life, and members of the local Utah climbing community.  There are many humble bad-asses in our community, and I look up to so many.

Q: Who has been the most important person(s) in your life? 
A: My mother is by far the most important person in my life.  She taught me how to work hard and to follow my heart.  Her love and support means more to me than I can explain.

Q: What was the happiest moment of your life?
A: This one!  They keep on getting better.


Q: What was the saddest moment of your life?
A: When my grandma died four days after my grandfather died.  She was super healthy and we weren't expecting it, so it was a surprise to have to say goodbye to her.  She was a strong and smart woman.

Q: What are the most important lessons you’ve learned in life?
A: Live each moment to the fullest extent.  Don't wait to pursue your dreams.  Love without hesitation and work so that you can respect your efforts.

Q: How would you like to be remembered?
A: As someone that pursued personal growth and did my best to support others in pursuing what inspires them most.

Q: How many countries have you visited?
A: Peru, Italy, Switzerland, Nepal, Greece, Turkey. Not too many, just getting started!  Hopefully Kyrgyzstan is next!

Q: What’s your favorite quote?             
A: “Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray.” --Rumi

Q: What would be the climbing trip of your dreams?
A: I'm scheming of a fall trip to the Kokshaal-Too Mountains in Eastern Kyrgyzstan right now. Alpine lines on steep, high quality rock, and a wonderful culture to boot.  Looks amazing.

Q: What would be the vacation of your dreams?
A: Not climbing?  I've also been scheming for a ladies' surf trip down to Baja sometime soon.  Flip-flops and beach time will sound pretty nice after a month in Alaska this spring!

Q: Cake or pie?          
A: Brownies

Q: Where can people go to read more about your adventures? Do you have a blog?
A: I’ve got one under construction right now: From the Ground Up


Follow the vertical exploits of Jewell Lund on this blog, and her own, as we share reports, videos, and photos of her latest adventures.



Find out more about the Beal team and products here.

_________
Subscribe to our RSS feed for future articles. SUBSCRIBE NOW.
Like what you read? Share it with a friend.

No comments: